|Dates||Place||Work||Learn & Share|
|September 2013 - todate||Pune, Maharashtra, India
Chief Business Officer (CBO) @ CSIR-Tech Private Ltd.
B2B, B2G Business Development
- Partnered with 40+ publicly-funded R&D organizations across India to mine and evaluate their technology portfolios for commercialization, including R&D labs under CSIR, IITs, DST, Department of Atomic Energy, DRDO, TIFR, etc.
- Created new commercial models of engagement that conform to Government of India regulations/processes yet allow faster, professional B2G interface between labs and industry.
- Engaged with Indian companies, industry associations and MSME clusters for technology marketing, strategic partnerships, distributor arrangements and cross-border investments.
Technology Marketing & Transfer, IP Licensing
- Led deal structuring, negotiation of commercial terms and deal closure for 50+ technology commercialization deals including patent licenses, sponsored research, technology collaborations, consulting services and product sales.
- Built and mentored a team of 10+ professionals to evaluate markets, value chains, industries, distribution channels, pricing & positioning, etc. for technologies related to life sciences, civilian aerospace equipment, oil & gas refining, import substitutes for defense applications, automotive components, specialty chemicals & coatings, water and wastewater treatment, energy storage, etc.
- Designed and deployed a robust, consultative sales infrastructure (team, CRM, sales training, lead databases, conversion checklists, marketing campaigns, etc.) resulting in shorter sales cycles and an increase in the volume of commercialization deals.
- Developed and managed a comprehensive, offline + online, marketing strategy to generate leads for a portfolio of 600+ technologies from R&D labs - targeting Indian and foreign, B2B and B2G markets
Spin-offs / Spinouts (New Venture Creation, Growth)
- Identified 25+ spinoff opportunities based on technology/knowhow from R&D labs; helped design business models, structure technology transfer deals, plan cap-tables for grant & venture funding.
- Engaged with technology investors, entrepreneurs and industry CXOs/executives to help put together relevant executive teams for spinoffs
- Improved mechanisms to enable equity-based commercialization deals between R&D labs and spinoffs/startups/SMEs for better alignment of risk-reward and efficiency of capital
Bookmarks @ Diigo,
|February 2012 - August 2013||Pune, Maharashtra, India
Principal @ AcceleratorIndia
- Drove market entry & on-the-ground BizDev activities for UK technology SMEs, starting from technology/solution pitch to bids/RFPs/tenders and pilot deployments
- Engaged with and influenced senior technical, procurement, and CXO-level professionals at sales targets/companies across India - to accelerate business entry into Indian markets
- Supported the drafting, negotiation and execution of MoUs, consortium frameworks, strategic agreements, and commercial proposals with mid/large Indian corporations
Business Analysis & Models
- Used and refined a variety of methods for market / industry / competitive analysis of technology business opportunities and business models in India
- Developed market assessment, positioning, product/service pricing, and distribution channel strategies for UK companies targeting Indian markets, to systematically de-risk UK->India BizDev for clients
- Gained market insights across numerous technologies, including energy metering & efficiency, pay-as-you-go solar systems, advanced instrumentation for oil & gas, mobile content/infrastructure/VAS, secure M2M communication, fuel cells for telecom towers, precision-engineered automotive components, mHealth/eHealth, medical devices, etc.
(Cross-border) Business Networks
- Built personal/professional contacts in various technology sectors, to support B2B and B2G bizdev, including senior management, executives and investors
- Identified and connected with BoD, BoA and CXO-level executives across Indian technology corporations, MNCs, PSUs and publicly-funded R&D institutes
- Involved in all aspects of 3 UK-India B2B events:
Mental Models for Technology Enterprises in India
Essays on business models, value chains, BizDev, etc. for technology startups in India
|February 2011 - January 2012||Pune, Maharashtra, India
Associate Principal @ AcceleratorIndia (a Cambridge, UK company)
Industry & Market Analysis
- Conducted industry, market and value-chain analysis for India, across a variety of technologies: cleantech, TMT/ICT, biotech and advanced engineering (e.g. oil & gas, automotive).
- Researched existing and upcoming/innovative technology business models in India
- Analyzed impact of central & state government policies on technology businesses in India
(Cross-border) Business Development
- Acted as local contact to manage relationships between UK/EU clients and Indian companies/institutions
- Established and refined sales & marketing strategy, develop local partner network and ecosystem
- Validated potential clients via due diligence, draft proposals, support contract negotiation
Sr. Manager - New Ventures @ Venture Center
Technology commercialization via Spinoffs
- Developed stage-gate processes and resources to effectively take science to the market, with support from a unique Proof-of-Concept fund
- Drafted & negotiated technology commercialization agreements with R&D institutions, within the frameworks laid down by GoI regulation
- Designed a unique technology assessment service to generate a pipeline of potential Proof-of-Concept projects and technology spinoffs
Seed funding for Indian technology startups
- Assisted investment committee with seed funding of technology startups, via the (micro) seed fund scheme of the Technology Development Board (TDB)
- Managed various aspects (business plan review, preliminary evaluation, committee presentations, 3rd party due-diligence, investment & pledge agreements, regulatory compliance, post-investment tracking, etc.) of seed funding
- Participated in tri-partite negotiations and deal structuring with investee companies and their follow-on (venture capital) investors
Micro-blog about investing + trading in Indian markets.
Essays on raising risk capital in India
Essays on investing in technology enterprises in India
Essays on risk capital for Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in India
Networks & Events
Faculty at DBT-ABLE workshops on Enterprise Building & Innovation in Biotechnology Firms
Delivered talks on technology entrepreneurship, intellectual property valuation, investing, etc. at Venture Center, NCL (a CSIR lab), SIMS Khadki.
Attended / hosted talks on technology innovation, entrepreneurship, venture capital, seed funding, etc. via PuneTech, PuneChips, PuneCleanTech, local VCs.
Panelist at IIT Kanpur's Annual Global Conference on Entrepreneurship and Technology Innovation (AGCETI 2010).
Participant in 2-week workshop on Technology Commercialization (IC2 Institute, University of Texas, Austin).
Volunteered to be part of CIIE's network of mentors - MentorEdge - that seeks to help technology entrepreneurs and early-stage startups.
Part of Economic Times Power of Ideas's network of mentors.
Speaker/panelist at BarCamp & Startup Saturday, Pune.
Assisted technology innovators, entrepreneurs, ventures, investors and institutions in various capacities;
some are highlighted below:
|A startup developing drug target ID technology for the drug discovery industry
||Proof-of-concept projects (potential spinoffs) in medical devices, water treatment, biomaterials etc.
||MSMEs working on wireless ECG, nitrogen purifiers, automotive systems, etc.
|GoI-funded R&D institutions seeking to commercialize laboratory science
||Cleantech innovators in e-waste recycling, solar-powered irrigator, emergency kits, etc.
||A public library with premium books, market databases, e-learning and events
|February 2009 - January 2011||Pune, Maharashtra, India
||Business Development Manager @ Venture Center
- Structured a novel program - Lab2Mkt - to pursue science/technology commercialization opportunities in partnership with R&D labs in India
- Launched a Proof-of-Concept fund to bridge the gap between scientific competencies and PoC/prototypes required for technology spin-offs
- Explored market opportunities related to chemical/material/biological sciences w.r.t. new venture creation; investigated startup ideas for water treatment, diagnostics, bio-medical devices, security features, etc.
- Organized ACTIV workshops to train scientists, R&D executives, incubator managers and technology transfer professionals in India
Sales & marketing
- Interacted with 200+ Pune entrepreneurs, tech startups & MSMEs - developed a deep understanding of challenges facing entrepreneurs & MSMEs in India
- Designed, priced & marketed incubator services; brought in new clients as residents (incubatees) and beneficiaries of Venture Center
- Raised awareness about technology business incubator amongst press/media, entrepreneur networks, Pune industrial consortia (eg. CII, MCCIA), and academic/research institutions in Pune
- Interacted with a variety of domestic & international organizations focused on technology entrepreneurship (eg. senior personnel from various departments/ministries of GoI, economic development councils from Canada, Belgium & Finland, US/UK companies looking for Indian IP, etc.)
Fund-raising for startups & for Venture Center
- Advised entrepreneurs to obtain financial support from various central government schemes (eg. MoMSME support grant, Techno-entrepreneur Promotion Programme - TePP, etc.)
- Raised a seed fund corpus for technology startups, via the 1 crore seed fund scheme of the Technology Development Board (TDB)
- Assisted in the creation of a unique online funding database for Indian entrepreneurs
- Successfully pitched proposals to various central government agencies for new programs & services at Venture Center (eg. Ministry of MSME - MoMSME, Department of Science & Technology - DST, Department of Scientific & Industrial Research - DSIR)
|August 2007 - January 2009||Bangalore / Mumbai, India
Co-founder @ Moneyoga
- Co-founded Moneyoga as one of the first quantitative trading and investing ventures in Indian capital markets
- Developed company strategy, pitched to venture investors, explored partnership opportunities with financial services companies
- Researched data sources, market analytics & system-based trading for stocks, futures & options; created a portfolio of back-tested trading strategies
- Designed, developed & deployed a high-end stock market analytics Internet portal
- Explored the creation of portfolio management services for HNIs with a focus on futures & options
GalaTime blog v2.0 - Indian capital markets
GalaTime blog v1.0 - Option trading / US capital markets
[Featured in Forbes' Best-of-the-Web financial blogs, 2004]
|August 2005 - July 2007||Bangalore, Karnataka, India
||Licensing Associate → Manager, IP Operations @ IPVALUE
- Mined patent portfolios of IPVALUE partners (eg. Xerox, Palo Alto Research Center, British Telecom, etc.)
- Conducted valuation of IP portfolios for commercialization via assertion, assignment
- Participated in consulting engagements with top-tier private equity companies to estimate value of intangible IP assets prior to M&A / LBO transactions
|May 2004 - July 2005 ||Austin, Texas, US
Patent Portfolio Manager @ IP Licensing Group, Freescale, formerly Motorola SPS
- Identified licensing opportunities for the company's intellectual property portfolio - composed of 5000+ patents covering the design, analysis, processing and system integration of semiconductor devices and integrated circuits (ICs)
- Participated in the technical analysis of patents covering the design and manufacturing of integrated circuits fabricated using silicon-on-insulator (SoI) and silicon-germanium (SiGe) technologies
- Collaborated with semiconductor IC design and manufacturing process experts to identify strategic patents for commercialization
|January 1999 - April 2004||Austin, Texas, US
Senior Staff Electronics Engineer → Program Manager @ EDA Tools Group, Motorola SPS
Research & Development
- Responsible for research & development of design automation software tools for high performance integrated circuits
- Evaluated and benchmarked competing industrial software products for design and analysis of semiconductor integrated circuits
- Negotiated third-party EDA vendor agreements, resulting in 40% reduction in software licensing costs
- Developed processes for issue tracking, resource allocation and requirements management for a group of 200+ technologists
- Adopted corporate PM methodology, tools, and new product introduction processes
Intellectual Property Licensing
- Participated in the Motorola SPS Intellectual Property licensing workshop at IC2 Institute, UT Austin
- Investigated the feasibility of commercialization for Motorola IT and manufacturing innovations
- Performed IP valuation of internally developed EDA software tools
- "On-Chip Inductance Modeling and Analysis", Design Automation Conference 2000 [Best Paper Award]
- "On-Chip Inductance Modeling", Great Lakes Symposium on VLSI 2000
- "Fast Analysis and Optimization of Power/Ground Networks", International Conference on Computer-Aided Design 2000
- "Inductance 101: Analysis and Design Issues", Design Automation Conference 2001
- "Analysis and Modeling of Deep-Submicron Issues in High Performance Design", PATMOS 2001
- "Inductance Model and Analysis Methodology for High-Speed On-chip Interconnect", IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration Systems 2002, Special Issue on On -Chip Inductance in High Speed Integrated Circuits
- "Inductance: Implications and Solutions for High-Speed Digital Circuits", International Conference on Solid State Circuits 2002
- "A Precorrected-FFT Method for Simulating On-chip Inductance", International Conference on Computer Aided Design 2002
- "Fast On-chip Inductance Simulation using a Precorrected-FFT Method", IEEE Transactions on Computer Aided Design 2002
- "Worst Case Clock Skew under Power Supply Variation", ACM/IEEE International Workshop on Timing Issues - TAU 2002
- "Path-Based Statistical Timing Analysis Considering Inter- and Intra-Die Variations", ACM/IEEE International Workshop on Timing Issues - TAU 2002
- "Statistical Delay Computation Considering Spatial Correlations", Asia South Pacific Design Automation Conference 2003
- "Signal Integrity for IP Blocks for Digital and Analog Mixed-Signal Designs", Virtual Socket Interface Alliance 2002
- "Analysis and Optimization of Structured Power/Ground Networks", IEEE Transactions on Computer Aided Design 2003
- "Table look-up based compact modeling for on-chip interconnect timing and noise analysis", International Symposium on Circuits and Systems 2003
Networks & Events
Master of Business Administration (MBA), University of Texas
[Texas Evening MBA - TEMBA - Batch of 2004]
- Project: Corporate Venture Capital: Organizational Issues & Trends (PDF)
- Project: Software solutions for Intellectual Property management
- GPA: 3.9/4.0
|August 1997 - December 1998||Minneapolis, Minnesota, US
- Teaching Assistant for lab course for EE seniors
- Research Assistant to Prof. Sachin Sapatnekar
- Summer Intern at System-on-Chip Design Technology Group, Motorola SPS, Austin, Texas, US
Master of Science (MS), University of Minnesota
- Major: Electrical Engineering
- Minor: Computer Science
- Project: Analysis & optimization of distributed power/ground networks for high performance VLSI circuits
- GPA: 4.0/4.0
|June 1993 - May 1997||Pune, Maharashtra, India
||Summer Intern at Nishko Instruments, Pune
Bachelor of Engineering (BE), College of Engineering, University of Pune
- Major: Instrumentation & Control Engineering
- Project: Neural network analysis
- Paper: Excimer laser corneal surgery; won award at REC-Trichy
|July 1991 - May 1993||Pune, Maharashtra, India
||Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC), Fergusson College
- Major: Science
- Ranked 5th in Pune Merit List
|1982 - 1991||Pune, Maharashtra, India
Secondary School Certificate (SSC), Karnataka High School a.k.a. KHS
- Languages learnt: English, Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Kutchi, French